Registrar and Gallery Assistant
1. Principal Aim of the Post:
Assist the Registrar with the logistical requirements for The Modern Institute’s busy international programme; including shipping for art fairs, sales, loans, exhibitions and consignments. Working as part of a team to deliver a professional and efficient service at all times, ensuring a high standard of care for the handling of all artworks. To maintain database records and shipping documentation with correct and up to date information. To work closely with artists regarding new works, shipping schedules and technical/ handling requirements.
2. Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
Shipping for art fairs-
• Assist the Registrar in collating lists, artwork details, shipping schedules, for shipping to art fairs.
• Work closely with colleagues in the Archive, Technical and Warehouse Departments to ensure that artwork details, packing/ crate lists and labels are correct.
• Liaise with shippers to provide final crate lists and shipping paperwork.
• Help ensure that schedules and deadlines are met, and shipping documentation received and filed.
• Be willing to travel to art fairs and assist in installation / de-installation and talking with collectors.
Shipping of sold artworks-
• Help ensure safe, timely delivery and installation (if required) of sold artworks.
• Assist the Registrar with obtaining estimates for shipping and packing of sold works.
• Liaise with clients regarding estimates, and shipping arrangements.
• With the Registrar ensure that all procedures regarding the export/ import of artworks are correct and that HMRC legislation is followed, and that the relevant paperwork is received, logged and filed.
Facilitate logistics for loans and internal/ external exhibitions-
• Assist the Registrar with loan requests, ensuring that The Modern Institute’s loan requirements and procedures are met at all times.
• Assist the Registrar with arrangements associated with incoming or outgoing exhibitions.
• Assist in keeping all loan agreements, shipping documentation, database records filed and up to date.
• Work closely with the partner galleries to provide consignment agreements, prices and full work details.
• Assist the Registrar in obtaining crating and shipping estimates for the partner galleries.
• Assist the Director of Finance in any updates to be processed as and when requested.
• Produce a weekly shipping schedule for the Shipping, Technical and Warehouse Departments to use.
• Update and maintain database records with any movement of artworks.
• Work closely with the Archive Department to ensure work details are correct on the database.
• Manage courier accounts, ensuring that the companies are offering competitive rates.
• Take care of the shipping requirements for all web sales.
• Assist the Registrar and colleagues with any other shipping requirements.
• Oversee the generation of Certificates of Authenticity for sold artworks.
• Assist with the sending and receipt of artist’s certificates, installation and care instructions and condition reports where necessary.
• Update the Sales Ledger with status of sold works, and that shipping information is recorded on this document and on the database.
• Raise invoices as and when required to do so, in close consultation with the Finance Department and the Registrar.
• Provide administrative support to the Directors and Project Managers as and when required.
• Aiding with private views and opening / organising the gallery for the private groups / viewings
• Be the first point of call for answering phones and directing calls.
• Provide Front of House duties including opening and closing of gallery, greeting visitors to the gallery, bookshop sales and provision of information to visitors.
• Support with Social Media posting and scheduling.
• Working at our Airds Lane gallery space to welcome visitors and maintaining Aird’s Lane and green space.
• Attending exhibition openings and helping to organise items during the openings.
• A thorough knowledge of Mac OS, Microsoft Office and Photoshop.
• Excellent administration and organisational skills, with impeccable attention to detail.
• Excellent communication and people skills.
• Ability to work accurately and calmly under pressure and multi task.
• Demonstrate good problem solving skills.
• Good time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines.
• Be able to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Have a flexible approach to the job, and the ability and willingness to work flexible hours when required as well as travel to art fairs.
3.2 Desirable but not required:
• Knowledge of the shipping, handling and installation of artworks.
• Prior knowledge of handling loans.
• Prior knowledge of HMRC procedures for import and export of artworks.
• To have experience with collection management database systems.
• Prior knowledge of the organisation and its represented artists.
The role will be based at The Modern Institute/ Toby Webster Ltd, 14- 20 Osborne Street, Glasgow G1 5QN.
Salary is £18-20K DOE.
To apply for this role please send a CV and covering letter to Lynsey Graham, Finance Manager firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 22nd July. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic candidate to assist the Director of Finance with all daily, monthly and quarterly financial and administrative requirements for The Modern Institute. You will be responsible for posting and reconciling all transactions on Sage with appropriate project and department tags and manage these postings with utmost attention to detail. You will receive any training you require and it will be a great opportunity to grow your skills.
Main tasks and responsibilities
• Daily bank postings, daily sales and purchase ledger postings to Sage
• Manage three currency bank accounts alongside credit card accounts on Sage and prepare monthly reconciliations
• Weekly cash flow update and reconciliation
• Petty cash management and reconciliation
• Assistance with artist statement preparation and ensuring correct projects and departments are tagged
• Posting of credit card statements and reconciliation, providing updates to the Director of Finance
• Preparation and submission of the EC sales list and Intrastat return after approval
• Checking of the VAT return prior to submission and ensuring all transactions are posted in a timely manner
• Uploading monthly exchange rates and updating Sage
• Track exhibition and art fair budget expenditure actuals
• Raise rental invoices to artists
• Assist the Director of Finance with quarterly management account preparation
• Preparation of specific nominal analysis by quarter
• Assist the Director of Finance with the year end accounts
• Answering and directing calls in the office
• Other reporting and administrative duties as required
• Previous use and knowledge of Accounting Software (Sage preferred)
• Excellent attention to detail and consistency
• Ability to use initiative and take projects forward alone
• Interest in contemporary art
• Previous experience in a similar role
This is a full time permanent role based at The Modern Institute/ Toby Webster Ltd, 14- 20 Osborne Street, Glasgow G1 5QN.
Salary is £18-23K DOE.
To apply for this role please send a CV and covering letter to Lynsey Graham, Finance Manager email@example.com by 12 noon on 24th July. Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.